Skip to content

Benefits, Resources & Military Records

Wyoming Veterans Hotline: 1-800-833-5987

The Wyoming Veterans Commission works diligently to assist veterans with benefits, whether it is trying to pass legislation, establishing programs, or providing information on what benefits are available. If you need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact one of our Veterans Service Officers located around Wyoming. A comprehensive guide to Wyoming veteran benefits is published biennially, and can be found here:

Veterans Property Tax Exemption

Apply at your County Assessor’s Office between January 1 and the fourth Monday of May each year. Veterans must be residents of Wyoming three or more years prior to claiming the tax exemption and must have a DD Form 214 or equivalent. Additionally, one of the following must apply: Served in the Armed Forces during World War II, Korean War, or Vietnam War; or must have served overseas during an armed conflict and received an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal or equivalent; or be a disabled veteran with a compensable service-connected disability as certified by VA or a branch of U.S. Armed Forces (agency letter required); or be the surviving spouse of a qualifying veteran who resides in Wyoming and did not remarry. The exemption applies to taxes on a primary residence lowering the assessed value by $3,000. If the exemption is not used on property, it may be applied to a vehicle’s licensing fee.

Wyoming Driver License Veteran Designation

To qualify for the designation, the veteran must have served at least one period of honorable service which resulted in the issuing of a DD214. A copy of your separation papers and a verification form must be submitted to the Wyoming Veterans Commission at least one week before going to a WYDOT Driver Exam Station.

Wyoming Military Related License Plates

The vehicle must be titled in the name of the veteran or the veteran may have joint ownership with a member of the immediate family. All special license plates are issued and renewed at the County Treasurer’s Office. All applicants for military-related license plates must be Wyoming residents and meet the eligibility criteria as prescribed by the Wyoming statute. Application, registration, and plate fees can be obtained from the local County Treasurer’s Office.

Military records

The Wyoming Military Department Records Office stores, and can provide, copies of the following records: DD 214 for all veterans who listed Wyoming as their home of record at the time of their separation and military service, and records for veterans and retirees of the Wyoming Army and Air National Guard. The office is located in Cheyenne, email them or call 307-777-8162 or 307-777-8163 for more information.

Transition Assistance Advisor

The TAA Skyline Team primarily supports uniformed service members and their families by ensuring they understand the services available through the Veteran Affairs and the military health system. Additionally, TAAs coordinate resources for these members and their families with the myriad of service programs provided by the VA, DoD including TRICARE, Veterans Service Organizations, and other supporting agencies. The office is located in Cheyenne, email them or call 307-772-5163.

WVC logo

Wyoming Veterans Commission

5800 Central Ave. (office location)
5410 Bishop Blvd. (mailing address)
Cheyenne, WY 82009
phone: 307-777-8152
fax: 307-777-8150

Useful Links